All rental requests will be by application. In making the application the petitioner agrees to observe the following specific Board Policies that govern the use of school facilities.
- District-sponsored activities, including curricular and extracurricular functions, retain first priority for the use of facilities. The District reserves the right to cancel reservations and reject any and all requests to rent or use school facilities. School facilities will not be rented for the purpose of meetings which teach or promote any theory or doctrine of a subversive nature or intend to undermine or overthrow the constitution of the government of the United States. No facilities will be used for the promotion of a special interest organization or organizations whose meetings tend to alienate community groups or promote disharmony in the general welfare.
- Kalispell Public Schools will abide with the provisions of the 1984 Equal Access Act.
- Groups renting school facilities must observe all rules concerning safety and supervision. Minors (under 18) are not allowed in district facilities without constant supervision.
- Employees of the District who generally have access to District facilities must complete a rental application to obtain access for use of facilities. All fees and procedures apply to District employees.
- Any organization or individual renting school facilities or property will repair or replace any undue wear or damage to school facilities. Facilities will be left in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
- Any organization or individual renting school facilities will agree to hold the District and its Board harmless for all liabilities arising incidental to their use of the facilities. In addition, groups which charge admission or generate a profit through the use of district facilities will be required to provide their own insurance. The District will require a certificate of insurance or letter from the insurer which states the name of the insurer, effective dates of the coverage and the limits of liability and names School District #5 as an additional insured. The District Rental Coordinator may also require insurance for groups that do not charge a fee.
- No school supplies or equipment are to be furnished or used without permission from the principal, superintendent, or administrative assistant, and when they are furnished, appropriate charges will be made. If sound and lighting equipment is used, the District Rental Coordinator will be present to operate it at an additional charge. Special wiring will be done according to code and at the expense of the user. At the discretion of the District, the user may be required to have a licensed electrician on duty during the performance.
- Gambling, alcoholic beverages and illicit drugs will not be permitted on school property. No smoking or use of tobacco will be allowed on school property.
- Candles and other open-flame devices shall not be used in places of public assemblage.
- Renters or users of Kalispell Pubic Schools facilities are not allowed to have firearms in their possession.
- All concession rights are retained by the School District.
- For all weekend events – a custodial overtime fee will be assessed. Events during the school year and regular work week, Monday through Friday, shall be subject to custodial services as identified in the rental fee schedule for use of the facilities between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- A custodian or authorized employee of the District shall be assigned and be accessible at all times when a group or individual rents any of the School’s auditoriums when lighting and sound are used.
- District facilities will not be rented for the following events; 1) Weddings, 2) Funerals, 3) Reunions – Family and Class.
- All Category 1 rentals will pay Category 2 fee rentals for weekend use.
For determination of charges, organizations seeking the use of school facilities have been divided into three categories:
Category 1: Organizations or individuals whose activities are beneficial to the students, staff, or the community, a minimal user fee is assessed with a custodial rate being charged.
Category 2: Organizations and individuals who charge a fee for activities that are beneficial to students, staff or the community. A user fee is assessed. Actual custodial costs for overtime and clean up will be charged. Category 2 includes Coaches employed by the District that rent facilities for summer camps and clinics that benefit the student/athletes of Kalispell Public Schools.
Category 3: All other individuals and groups. School facilities will not normally be rented for commercial ventures unless comparable facilities are unavailable elsewhere. Full user fees and actual custodial costs for overtime and clean up will be charged. The District may require advance payment and a certificate of insurance and additional insured status is mandatory. Category 3 also includes Coaches employed and not employed by the District that rent facilities for a profit that also benefits student athletes outside Kalispell Public Schools.
Any rental requests not covered by the above will be referred to the Superintendent.
Rental rates were calculated using cost data for District operating expenses including, heat, light, water, sewer, insurance, maintenance, cleaning, and capital expenses.
Rental rates were also calculated with the understanding that 80% of the maintenance costs are a function of use and 20% a function of time, while capital expenses have been factored at 50% of use and 50% of time.