MARK E. FLATAU
Mark Flatau is the superintendent of Kalispell Public Schools and is starting his third year with KPS.
Previously Mark served as a Superintendent in the State of Washington. He received the Washington State Outstanding Administrator Award for Environmental and Sustainability Education in 2009. Schools under his direction have received many awards and accolades, including National Blue Ribbon awards, Schools of Distinction Award in 2007, 2008, and 2013 as well as the Washington Achievement Award for Extended Graduation Rate in 2011. Mark has spent his entire 35 year career in K-12 education where he has established a strong collaboration with the local community, outside agencies and private business to support student achievement.
“It takes each of us to make a difference for all of us” is a quote that he frequently states and believes in.
Welcome to School District #5 and the 2015-16 school year. Our school district is proud to be part of a community that wholeheartedly supports both our academic and activity programs. The District offers a wide variety of curriculum offerings and over fifty percent of our students are involved in athletics and other activities such as speech and debate; music; art and drama. SD #5 stands proudly behind our student achievement outcomes and encourages you to review our academic standings by viewing the information on the Curriculum strand of this webpage.
Our district is one that continues to grow and change with each year. We have grown by over 10 percent and as a result, we have modified our facilities and programs in order to support ongoing student achievement and the population growth. Building and instructional changes that have been implemented in the last year through the generous support of our community include:
- Upgrades in energy efficiency infrastructure and lighting at every school with an ESCO grant
- Successful acquisition of a 1.2 million Quality School Grant to provide upgrades at Flathead High School
- Consolidation of our alternative high school programs at one site
- Addition of new classrooms to our Agricultural Education Center facility
- Addition of eight elementary classrooms and a new multipurpose room (Edgerton and Peterson)
- Building a new Elementary Central Kitchen (opening 2014)
- Growth in our technology tools for both learning and operations
- Notable program accomplishments with a nationally recognized AP school and the only International Baccalaureate School in Montana
- Providing a wide array of interventions and enrichment for all students K-12 that include summer school, after school, career classes, and Running Start classes with our local community college
We look forward to working with you as a student, staff member, parent, or community member. The strength of our schools enhances our community as a whole.
“Our Kids - Our Future.”
If I can be of service to you do not hesitate in contacting me.
Superintendent of Schools
233 1st Avenue East
Kalispell, MT 59901