Golf Etiquette 101
1. Be efficient:
· Be ready to hit when it is your turn.
· Study your shot and club selection while other players are hitting.
· Don’t waste time dawdling or chatting when it is your turn to play!
· If you can tap in a short putt without walking on another player’s line, don’t mark it, just putt and clear.
· Keep up with the group in front of you.
· In practice rounds (not competition), pick up after you hit double the par for that hole.
· Let paying customers play through if they are playing faster than you can play.
· Always take your clubs with you before you hit your next shot!
· At the green, place your clubs so that you can pick them up as you walk towards the next tee.
· Clear the green quickly so the next group can hit their shots onto the green.
· If you think your ball may be lost or out of bounds, hit a provisional shot to save time.
2. Be aware:
· Make sure no one is going to be hit by your practice swing or stroke before beginning the swing.
· Avoid taking divots on practice swings, as they may throw pebbles or sticks towards other players.
· Don’t hit into the group ahead of you until they are out of range.
· Yell “fore!” if a ball you strike is headed for another player or person on the course.
3. Be considerate:
· Don’t talk or move around while others are swinging or putting.
· Keep your shadow out of their line of play.
· Stand well clear and to the side of someone about to play a shot (not behind; it may distract him/her).
· Don’t walk on another person’s line of putt, including on the other side of the hole.
· Rake bunkers fill divots, and repair ball marks!!
· Step lightly and cleanly on the greens and tap down any spike marks you may inadvertently make on the green.
· Make sure you put the flagstick completely back into the hole before leaving the green!
· Don’t place your bag on the green and don’t drop the stick or clubs on the green.
· And do not throw clubs on the golf course … ever!!
Thank the grounds crew and other staff for their work and for hosting the tournaments in which you play!