It is a new innovative father involvement program called Watch D.O.G.S.® (Dads Of Great Students) at Elrod Elementary. Watch D.O.G.S.® is the father involvement initiative of the National Center For Fathering. Inspired by one father’s desire to increase male involvement in his children’s school and with the help of the schools teachers and administration, Watch D.O.G.S was created in 1998 at George Elementary in Springdale, AR. Since then, the program has spread to more than 3,721 schools in over 46 states and now is at Elrod Elementary!
· Students gain a positive male role model. Some students do not have a father-figure present in their home and the number of male teachers has been steadily declining in recent years. More positive male role models are needed in the school setting.
· Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears. The presence of Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads Of Great Students) can increase a sense of security at the building for students and staff, and it helps create an environment conducive to learning.
· Fathers and father-figures can spend meaningful time with their students in the school setting and gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their student’s life, just by being a ‘dad’.
· When Watch D.O.G.S. invest a day at school, they can learn how better to partner with the school to meet educational goals of students.
· FOR MORE INFORMATION on the WATCH D.O.G.S.® program call 1-888-540-3647, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.fathers.com/watchdogs. If you would like more information, please contact Glenda Armstrong, Elrod Principal, at 751-3700.